1 Peter 3:15 (NKJV)

But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts, and always be ready to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is in you, with meekness and fear...



Are You In Church Praising & Worshiping GOD Out Of Fear Or Love?

It may seem like an odd question. I mean, who goes to church unwillingly or out of fear of punishment from GOD? That's crazy. Right?

You and I both know that is the case with some folks. I remember as a kid, I would actually pretend I was dead so I wouldn't have to get up Sunday mornings and go to church (sad, I know). Eventually, I would roll out of bed, though, and head off to church with the family. Back then, I wasn't going to GOD'S house for myself...I was basically going because my parents said I had to. So I'm not too sure if I was in church clapping and signing because I really wanted to or because I believed I had to.

Things changed, however. I grew up and stumbled along the way, but eventually began a real walk with Christ Jesus. So do I love going to church now? -- Not always. But when I go, I try to make sure it's because I want to go. I really don't think GOD Almighty is going to condemn me for skipping when I am sick, tired or just not in the mood to go to Sunday service. I must admit, however, that sometimes I do feel a slight pang of guilt when I have no real reason to not go. After all, look at all GOD Almighty has done for me. Would it kill me to show my gratitude by going to fellowship at HIS tabernacle? But I always try to remember, it's meaningless to GOD if you do something while grumbling... or with the wrong motivation behind it.

And when I'm in church, I usually enjoy myself. I sing along in praise and I try to understand how the pastor's sermon can apply to my life and spiritual journey. I know that by my going to church doesn't 'do' anything for GOD really. Fellowship is more about the individuals getting together for edification. I know when I leave Sunday service, I leave with a full heart and a renewed spirit. Being around like-minded people who share the same love you do for GOD can do that to you...especially when you feel like an outcast in the world around you.

So back to the question of fear or love... I know for a fact that some folks think (mostly young people I know or used to know) going to church every Sunday is all you need to do to get into heaven. I know some folks who believe that simply going to church makes them somehow 'better' than the heathen that do not. And I wouldn't be surprised if there are some adults who tell their kids they won't get to heaven if they don't go to Sunday school. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

First off, Lucifer himself can walk into church... with a Bible under his arm and even go sit in the first pew. A church is just a building, my friends. It's the folks in the building that gives the place meaning. Don't let those Hollywood movies fool you... no statues and holy water can keep him out of a place he wants to be -- unless GOD Almighty forbids him.

Consider Job 1 (NKJV):
6 Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan also came among them.
7 And the LORD said to Satan, “From where do you come?” So Satan answered the LORD and said, “From going to and fro on the earth, and from walking back and forth on it.”
8 Then the LORD said to Satan, “Have you considered My servant Job, that there is none like him on the earth, a blameless and upright man, one who fears God and shuns evil?”
9 So Satan answered the LORD and said, “Does Job fear God for nothing?
10 Have You not made a hedge around him, around his household, and around all that he has on every side? You have blessed the work of his hands, and his possessions have increased in the land.
11 But now, stretch out Your hand and touch all that he has, and he will surely curse You to Your face!”
12 And the LORD said to Satan, “Behold, all that he has is in your power; only do not lay a hand on his person.” So Satan went out from the presence of the LORD.


Now, if GOD Almighty still gives Satan an audience when it pleases HIM and would even give him permission to raise his hand against one of HIS own servants... why do you think a simple church would be off bounds to the devil? If he can approach the presence of GOD, he can surely walk into a church filled with mere humans. And let's not forget how satan tempted Jesus the Christ after his baptism.

So simply attending church on a regular basis does nothing for your personal salvation. Satan can do that, too.

And it's not like you really need to go to a traditional church and go through some traditional 'routine' to really worship before the LORD. As Jesus the Christ said in Matthew 18:20, "For where two or three are gathered together in My name, I am there in the midst of them.”

You see church is not about a physical location... it's a shared state of mind amongst a body of people.

As for going to church because you think GOD might strike you dead if you don't...if you really believe that then you don't know much about GOD. There's a difference between walking around on pins and needles because of someone and having reverence for someone.

Growing up, most of us respected our parents and conducted ourselves with them in mind. We knew our parents weren't going to murder us because we disobeyed them or broke one of their rules, but we did know that they would be disappointed. And why wouldn't they literally kill us? -- Because they loved us and simply wanted the best for us.

What's the first and greatest commandment given to Moses? Deuteronomy 10:
12 “And now, Israel, what does the LORD your God require of you, but to fear the LORD your God, to walk in all His ways and to love Him, to serve the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul,
13 and to keep the commandments of the LORD and His statutes which I command you today for your good?

And, yes, the 'fear' above is about respect and reverence...not about being afraid.

As it is written in Hebrews 12:28 "...let us have grace, by which we may serve GOD acceptably with reverence and godly fear. For our GOD is a consuming fire."

And what did Jesus the Christ have to say about this?
Matthew 22:
36 “Teacher, which is the great commandment in the law?”
37 Jesus said to him, “ ‘You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’
38 This is the first and great commandment.

If you find yourself in church clapping your hands and singing those praise songs because you think that you have to and that someone is watching you, you're partly right -- GOD is watching you...and probably wondering what the heck you're doing.

Don't think that our Creator the LORD GOD Almighty wants to drag anyone kicking and screaming into heaven. You cannot be saved against your will. You have to willfully and joyfully accept the invitation extended to you. This GOD does not want spineless, frightened children following him blindly. HE wants courageous, spirit-filled warriors who love blindly among HIS flock.

0 comments: